Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Discussion #6: My Life With Media


From an early age, back when I used to sit up close to the TV and watch, I have been enamored with media. Currently I spend most of my time on my desktop computer, surfing the web. I subscribe to many RSS news feeds that supply me with information. 5 years ago, I would spend a large portion of my time playing video games and watching TV. While I still enjoy those activities, I tend to spend most of my time on Wikipedia, YouTube, and Facebook. To me it’s a perfect trifecta, one that quenches my curiosities and allows me to goof off. While I have found it difficult at times to balance my real life and digital life (usually with respect to schoolwork), it has never taken a huge toll on me. My family used to wonder why I spent so much time with different forms of media, but now they all do so themselves. My friends were usually right there with me absorbing the same media. My time on Wikipedia and YouTube has done the most to widen my horizons, changing my perception of other cultures, religions, the opposite sex, other ideologies, and other professions. I no longer read books during my free time, just Wikipedia pages. I have read so many articles and watched so many videos that no topic remains untouched by me. The opportunities for education have been my favorite part of media adoption; it has probably had the greatest effect on my development.

No comments:

Post a Comment